Thursday, May 28, 2009

SHOW US WHERE YOU LIVE FRIDAY, NURSERY EDITION...


one of my favorite rooms in our house is...THE NURSERY.

until the day baby girl was born,
we didn't know if we would bring home a he or she to our former apartment.
so decorating a gender neutral nursery was a must.

i was playing around with the idea of a vintage alphabet theme for the baby's room.
when i came across these abc flashcards at anthropologie my mind was made up for sure.
we took the flashcards to a fabric store
and carefully selected red, yellow, green, blue, and purple fabrics to match them.
my mom took those chenille, stripe, and polka dot fabrics
and created a beautiful quilt, bumper pads, and a valance for the nursery.

the dad-to-be strung the cards around the top of the nursery walls,
attaching them with tiny clothespins along a long string of jute.

these details made those stark white apartment walls seem almost cozy.
now we have moved, but much of the nursery details remain the same.

when we first looked at the house that is now our own,
i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the nursery was already painted with
beautiful baby blue and white stripes that matched our baby things perfectly.

i love the way the wall decorations look up against these wide stripes.
we didn't hang the flashcards this go around, since there was already a lot of busyness.

the crib has an espresso (blackish-brownish) finish.
the grandparents gave it to their future grandchild as one of our first baby presents.
the shelf above the crib holds special books, piggy banks, a handmade raggedy ann doll,
a little suitcase covered with letters, miss priss' first converse, and a vintage child-size chair.


above the changing pad an old window pane hangs.
the glass is no longer in it, but other treasures hang in its place.
the birth announcement, the dress i came home from the hospital wearing many years ago,
my first pair of shoes and baby girl's first pair of shoes.
across the room a whimsical version of her initals (made by leslie) sit perched on top of the windowsill.


in the middle of the room there is a shelf filled with toys and books.
more special personalized artwork (made by linde and susan k.) hangs above the shelf.


and of course no girl's room would be complete without a closet.
sometimes while she is busy playing on the floor of her closet,
i find myself smiling while sorting through bows and bloomers and organizing outfits by sizes.


there are lots of fun things that can be found here,
but my favorite thing in the whole room is definitely the person who sleeps in it each night.

in her first months we had to have several medical tests and procedures done on our precious newborn.
in those moments, and on a daily basis, i need to be reminded that i am not in control.
my mom bought this cross for her room and it serves as that daily reminder that i need,
to stop and remember that she is truly "God's child" that we have the privilege of raising here on earth.
the frame was a gift from our friends kristin and rubey and says,
"all God's grace in one sweet little face."
"before He formed her in my womb He knew her,
before she was born He set her apart." -jeremiah 1:5a

(now go visit kelly's korner for more cute and cozy nurseries)


39 comments:

Heather said...

Seriously you never do a post that I don't love!! I love Adelaide's room! I love the stripes and love you have items from when you were a little girl!! The room is perfect!

Ledbetter Fam said...

That is an absolutely precious nursery!!! And an absolutely adorable little girl living in it!!!

JB

LB said...

Love, love, love her room! I so wish that I could live near you so we could craft together! :)

Abby said...

This is gorgeous! As is your little girl! Love your style :)

Leslie Hokanson said...

Adelaide could not be cuter if she tried! Love that girl and her fab room!
-Les

lots of love said...

precious nursery!!! aww i love it! beautiful baby girl as well =) thanks for stopping by our blog & sweet comment!

Jennifer W said...

I just love her. She is so beautiful and the nursery is gorgeous. We have to meet up next time I'm in town and get the girls picture together. I think the world might implode with their combined adorableness. Again, the house is BEAUTIFUL!

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

super super cute room!

Rory said...

I love the nursery...I used blue for my daughter too! I am stealing that window pane idea!!

Macey said...

I love that room! It's gorgeous! And the bible verse at the end is one of my absolute favorites!
And your baby is CUTE!!!
Macey

Unknown said...

You have FABULOUS style! I love it all :-) so so cute - thanks for sharing girl!

Angie said...

Beautiful nursery--I love the bedding and the striped walls (how nice that it worked with your color scheme).

Kelly said...

Such a precious room for such a precious girl with a very precious momma!
I love everything about it!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

You know how I feel about Adelaide's room, bedding, and decor...LOVE IT!!! I'm using it as inspiration for our next nursery/child's room. :) But I have to agree with you...my favorite part of the room is the little girl who sleeps there!

Lauren said...

Anthropologie as an inspiration? FABULOUS! Love those ABC cards!

Frugal Jen said...

Beautiful room for a beautiful little girl!

Maria said...

Love Love Love the room, the stripes, the blue for the sweet little girl. Precious, sweet, classic. Congrats and blessings.

Anonymous said...

love the room, so cozy!!!

Candace said...

I love love love her room! So light and cozy--I love the old widonpane with keepsakes in it! An adorable room for an adorable little girl!

chesley said...

her room is precious! so unique, bright, airy & cozy all at the same time!

Cody Jean said...

What cutie your daughter is! I love the details, and that you kept the blue/white stripes for a girl- so cool!

Myra @ My Blessed Life said...

This room is SO incredibly wonderful! I love the Anthropologie ABCs! Awesome!

Jenny said...

Very nice! I love the striped walls.

The ABC cards sound adorable!

ashley said...

i love that window pane - such a cute idea!!!! the entire nursery is super cute!!! :)

Family American Style said...

Very, very cute. Love the letters. Creativity. My favorite. Thank you for posting and visiting my blog.

Devon said...

Oh my gosh, Annalee--it is GORGEOUS! You should get it in a magazine or something!!!

Karyn said...

I l-o-v-e the stripes! Beautiful room for a beautiful little girl. BLessings!

ClintandGina said...

"before He formed her in my womb He knew her,
before she was born He set her apart." -jeremiah 1:5a was the verse I prayed over our baby when we were trying to concieve. You just reminded me that I need to incorporate it into my nursery. Your little Adelaide is a doll!

Leah said...

Sweet. We have the same abc cards in our nursery!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness... I love Adelaide's room! I dont know how to pick a favorite about it, but I think its the old window... I LOVE that!!!! Such a perfect nursery!

amy said...

love sweet Adelaide's room! it's beautiful!

Kiki said...

So cute. How did I miss her initials?!

Tara G. said...

I love the things you have hanging from the window frame! What a precious room to grow up in!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Cute, cute, cute! So jealous of her stripes!

Mary Kay said...

How fun! Ashley and I have been talking about striping Emma's room! I love your blog, it makes me feel like I have gotten to visit your home. To answer your question: The boys selected a little 4 wheeler car thingy...but it was sweet because they put their left over money together and got Will a little car too! Sweet boys!

Rhiannon said...

that nursery is absolutely adorable, i'm sure she will enjoy growing up in it :D

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Beautiful room....love it...Just blog hopping today and enjoyed reading your blog...

I am posting on our Disney trip so hope you will stop by.

Also, the June giveaway starts today...all comments left in June will be in the drawing for the "June Card Box"! You will have to go down a few posts to read about the monthly giveaway. Happy Sunday!

Jenna said...

adelaide's room is absolutely perfect!! i just love it. seriously, i think if i had to decorate a baby girl's room right now i would be taking some SERIOUS notes from this post. it is precious - and has a precious little girly to match!

Brenda said...

Beautiful room! I love the charming window pane!