Friday, January 14, 2011

RING IN THE NEW YEAR...

with a JUMBO RING.
does anyone else have trouble parting with christmas cards?
i think it has something to do with all those faces smiling back at me.
i love them.
i'm not a hoarder of many items,
but i can't part with these.

for years i've had this really fancy way of saving them.
it's called toss them all in the bottom of one of our christmas decoration tubs.

this year i finally implemented a new solution.
one day i was wandering craft store aisles for the four hundredth time
as i made plans for my favorite never-ending holiday,
it's called thanksgiving/grahamsbirthday/christmas/newyears/adelaidesbirthday.
suddenly, a bright and shiny ring caught my eye!
it was about 3" in circumference and cost less than two bucks.
i immediately bought two of these for my own.

then i became best friends with the hole puncher and we spent an evening on the couch together.
while evan watched guys punch each other on ultimate fighter,
i punched a hole in the corner of every christmas card i could find.
after that i put them on the ring by families.
it is already fun to look through and see how people have grown over the years.
and there's lots of room to add more smiling faces to them each year.

that's my kind of scrapbooking.
compact.
and easy-peasy.

20 comments:

Tara G. said...

What a great idea- and you could flip through during prayer time.

Jen S. said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea! I do the same thing with previous Christmas cards (put them in a tub with the decorations) but this idea is AWESOME! I can't wait to try it!
Thanks for sharing :)

Katelyn said...

That's a great idea, Annalee! I'll have to try that.

Jaclyn said...

I am so going to copy you. I love it!!!

The Perkins Family said...

Very cute! I do the same thing and have them all thrown in with the boxes of my decorations, but I do love to look back at how the families have changed over the years. Thanks for the idea!

AKat said...

GREAT IDEA! I love it! You're so savvy!

AKat said...

Do I recognize Caroline's sweet baby eyes at the start of that second ring???

ThePoeFam said...

LOVE IT! I have all of mine in boxes and they're rubberbanded by year! I'll have to decide how to orgaize them...but I LOVE the ring idea! I'll be headed to Hobby Lobby ASAP!

Jill said...

Great idea! I've been hanging on to mine - trying to decide how I'm going to save them.

Melissa Jackson said...

What a great idea! To-date, mine are also all thrown in the bottom of a Christmas decoration tub. I may have to implement this when they come back out next year. :o)

molly said...

Annalee - I LOVE that idea! I too can not get rid of my Christmas cards - especially the darling pictures of families. A great way to watch them grow up.Thanks for the inspiration!!

Abbe said...

I love this idea. Our children's minister suggested keeping them and praying for a different family each week and that will make it so much easier to do!

Callie said...

great idea!!! I have a friend who does the same thing, then at bed time, she grabs the roll-a-dex of families and with her kids, they pray for one family each night until they go through all the cards. What a neat idea right?? Neat to know that if you sent that family a Christmas card, they will be praying for you! Wish I would have thought of such a great idea!!!

karen said...

that is a great idea of how to keep and enjoy christmas cards!
we did a similar thing to make a vacation 'book'. we bought postcards along the way, wrote on them each night (sometimes had multiple cards for the day of different sites, or of artwork we had seen, etc) and then, once home, holepunched them and put them on a ring. i like the many ways to keep things together with a big ring!

chesley said...

love it! i was planning on punching holes & tying together with ribbon, but this seems like it would be much easier than threading ribbon!!

debra parker said...

um, awesome! i have a box of cards from years of saving... i am so going to do this!

Unknown said...

Great idea!

Lane said...

What a GREAT idea!!! Ours are all just thrown in a drawer. Thanks for sharing!

The Houston's said...

That's the best idea ever!!! Thanks!! I am headed to the craft store Tuesday!! Maybe we can get together sometime! I'd love to see you and catch up!

Lindsee said...

Catching up on blogs. SO going to do this! Great idea!